Thursday 16 June 2016

[Book Review] Stories for Rainy Days - Naela Ali

Source : Google
Judul : Stories for Rainy Days
Pengarang : Naela Ali
Penerbit : POP (Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia)
Halaman : 208 halaman
Harga : Rp110.000
Cover : Hardcover
ISBN : 978-602-424-059-2


It was a rainy day,
with a hot darjeeling tea,
warm striped blanket
and polka dot socks.
One perfect moment
to read stories
for cats.

***

Lately, I came across Naela Ali’s instagram account (her username is @naelaali) quite often, because apparently some of my followings are her followers. So I kind of check her feeds every now and then because it is decent, clean, and I love the tone of her pictures. Her artworks are also great. Based on those stalking activities, I found out that recently she just published a short story collection. It was originally self-published, but this year, a major publisher republished it.

Just like other published books by Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia’s POP, Stories for Rainy Days is aesthetically pleasing, and is filled with beautiful watercolor illustrations by the author herself. To put it simply : it is instagrammable. Its small size reminded me of Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s Tiny Book of Tiny Stories (it was mentioned here a few times, so I think this book is probably inspired by them).

The thing is, I didn’t really find the stories inside fascinating—not that i did not like it, because some of them can resonate with me. I know that they are probably based on the author’s personal experiences, and stories about life (and love) usually pique my interest, but it just felt too personal, too raw, that I felt like merely peeking through someone’s diary. Beside, I think they are a little bit Tumblr-ish (if that makes sense). The stories need to be polished a little. That’s why I only gave 2 stars for them.

There are also a few grammatical mistakes, but of course I am in no place to judge because, well.. just look at this messed up grammar all over my review.

It was an entertaining read nonetheless, I enjoyed the book and had a good time reading it. My favorite was the pilot story, where she wrote the letter for Mr. Spaceman, especially when she wished him well :”) Oh, and there’s an illustration of Clementine and Joel, which came from my favorite movie (so that’s a plus), and I also love the musical references. For those, this book just earned another star, hence, 3 out of 5 stars it is!

Anyway, I did not buy the book because earlier today I spent quite a loooong time in the bookstore that I did not realize I was already on the last page hehe >.< BUT if I did, of course I would not regret it, because Stories for Rainy Days is one of those books that will sit prettily among other books in your bookshelf! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment